Dr. Andrew Chen began his undergraduate study in biomedical engineering at UCLA. He completed his dental degree at Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry at USC. He then went on to specialize in dental anesthesiology at the University of Pittsburgh, School of Dental Medicine and UPMC.
Dr. Chen has been published in numerous journals including the Journal of the American Dental Association and the California Dental Association Journal. He has an Assistant Professor appointment at the Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry at USC. In addition, he has been featured on Dr. 90210 and Dr. Drew’s Life Changers.
Dr. Chen is actively involved in dental anesthesiology societies and conferences. He has lectured and published many times in the field of anesthesiology.
Dr. Chen grew up in Northridge, CA, and attended Granada Hills High School, where he met his wife. He enjoys spending time with his family, skiing, and traveling.
Research & Publications
- Chen Ah: Toxicity And Allergy To Local Dental Anesthesia, CDA Journal Vol 26 No. 9, September 1998. Pp. 683-692
- Jackson Dl, Chen Ah, Bennett Cr: Identifying True Lidocaine Allergy. Jada Vol 125, October 1994. Pp. 1362-1366
- Chen Ah, Bennett Cr: Ketorolac-Induced Bronchospasm In An Aspirin-Intolerant Patient. Dental Anesthesia Progress. Vol 41, May 1995
Leadership & Membership
- American Dental Board of Anesthesiology (ADBA)
- American Society of Dental Anesthesiology (ASDA)
- American Society of Anesthesiology (ASA)
- Society for Ambulatory Anesthesiology (SAMBA)
- National Dental Board of Anesthesiology (NDBA)
- International Anesthesia Research Society
- Society of Office Based Anesthesia
- American Dental Association
- California Dental Association
- Santa Barbara Ventura County Dental Society
- Conejo Valley Academy of Dentistry
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon, Zeta Chapter
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon Dental Honor Fraternity, Zeta Chapter
- American Dental Society of Anesthesiology, Horace Wells Award
- American Academy of Gold Foil Operators Achievement Award
- USC School of Dentistry Dean’s List
- Ongoing: Medical Emergencies In The Dental Office. Ambulatory Anesthesia Services
August 2010: Anesthesia Jeopardy For The Pedodontic Office, UCLA Pedodontic Alumni Association
- 2000: Present Intravenous Conscious Sedation, Clinical Instructor University of Southern California The Herman Ostrow, School of Dentistry of USC
- 1997-98: Narcotics and Barbiturates. Solis Surgical Arts Center, Anesthesia Study Club
- July 1994: Use of Narcotics & Barbiturates In Dental Anesthesia (CE), University of Pittsburgh, School Of Dental Medicine
- July 1994: Conscious Sedation (CE), University of Southern California, School of Dentistry
- July 1994: “Aspirin Triad” Case Presentation. Leonard H. Monheim Lecture Series University of Pittsburgh, School of Dental Medicine
- August 1992: Narcotic Administration In Anesthesiology.